Content Harry Potter

Reviews

Hot48cricket posted a comment on Tuesday 23rd July 2019 11:40pm for Chapter the last

I don't know why I read this story ( I read Harry & Ginny almost exclusively) but I was intrud by "right of conquest".

I always wondered whatever happened to Daphne.

I really enjoyed this story! I am glad I persevered and finished it!!

Tanis Werren posted a comment on Friday 26th October 2018 7:23pm for Chapter the last

I really love this story. I love that you let them develope a real love and real relationship. It makes a nice change from the way other authors usually go about it.

Thanks for the wonderful world of RITUAL CONQUEST.

Kokopelli replied:

You're most welcome.

NarutosBrat posted a comment on Sunday 10th June 2018 7:53am for Chapter the last

So basically if Draco wanted to make any real money in porn, he'd have to be the bottom in gay porn? Fitting.

Well, that was a ride, and I certainly enjoyed it. I'm putting this on my list of stories to come back to at some point when I need inspiration for returning to my own fanfiction.

Kokopelli replied:

No comment as to Draco's preferences.    

RubinCompServ posted a comment on Monday 16th April 2018 11:39am for Chapter the last

Another excellent story! I'm just sorry that I've come across this site when everyone has gone inactive :(

Kokopelli replied:

I'm afraid that the golden heyday of HP fanfic is gone, but there are still good fics being written.   I was an adult with children when I started writing fanfic, while I suspect that the majority of fanfic writers are teenagers in High School or College with lots of time on their hands.   For most, as life changes, their time for writing decreases or disappears entirely.   Thanks for reading.

Noble Korhedron posted a comment on Friday 28th July 2017 10:57am for Chapter the last

I respectfully put forth the idea that these 'summary endings' of yours are a real pain in the bum…

Kokopelli replied:

Well, by all means ask for a refund on your way out.  I like these endings, comparing them to the cinematic endings on American Graffitti and Animal House in which years of content is conveyed in seconds.  It's not for everyone, or for every story.  I have limited time for my storytelling, and I see this as the most economical way of drawing the loose ends closed without having to write eight more chapters.

Wanderer posted a comment on Monday 24th July 2017 6:59pm for Chapter the last

Harry's visions of first himself with his mother and then his wife with his child in the rocking chair or truly wonderful. One of my favorite scenes.(period!) Thanks once more for sharing your time and talent, I love to come back to these kinds of stories as they gently remind me of the power of intentional love without the sweaty bits so many others get sidetracked by.

Kokopelli replied:

I thought it was one of my more effective scenes, notwithstanding that there's a minor bit of groping involved.

Bob Officer posted a comment on Friday 17th February 2017 1:19am for Chapter the last

And yet a story I missed while off pretending to write a story of my own. My story sits nearly abandoned and forgotten. I might this summer try to rewrite it once more.

Maybe I can find a ship which will work. I have a great start and the middle is good, but the end fails because the female character breaks down and isn't strong enough to fit the strength of a powerful enough Harry that defeats evil Voldemort and senile dumbles.

Kokopelli replied:

I've had any number of stories where the wheels fall off the wagon.  When writing HP Fanfic, I think the fanfic author has to say "what am I doing here that hasn't been done before, and why should I do it?"

Shadowdog posted a comment on Tuesday 1st March 2016 3:50pm for Chapter the last

Interesting story overall. It "felt" different to me, but I'll definitely mark and read again later!

Kokopelli replied:

It felt different, because it is different - if I were trying to write cannonista fan fic, there wouldn't be much point - it would be comfortable, but not interesting.

MATRUCO posted a comment on Thursday 4th February 2016 1:03am for Chapter the last

I like it, thx

Kokopelli replied:

You are quite welcome.

Gary the Grouch posted a comment on Sunday 3rd January 2016 8:24pm for Chapter the last

A delightful, creative story! There was a major surprise element introduced at the end, but it added to the story rather than subtracting from it. I would like to read more about these characters, but I'm not sure if there is a story out there to be told.

Thank you for taking the time to write this down and share it with us!

Kokopelli replied:

I doubt I'll go back to this one.  I'm not writing much fanfic these days.

sfjoellen posted a comment on Tuesday 11th August 2015 2:01pm for Chapter the last

great story, thank you. I especially like the characters, they were lively and funny and sweet.

Kokopelli replied:

I liked the characters too - they kind of grew.

Stick97 posted a comment on Monday 27th July 2015 3:24am for Chapter the last

I'm guessing Molly was so hopped up on Calming Draught that she didn't lose it at the fact Harry was marrying someone so close to Ginny's death? Great story, and I would love to see more of the story.

Kokopelli replied:

I'm sure that Molly was more worried about Ron in Hong Kong, but yes, Molly was probably having issues with this wedding.

Exivus posted a comment on Tuesday 7th July 2015 6:33am for Chapter the last

Poker prodigy Ron is definitely a new one.

Kokopelli replied:

Ron's not my favorite character to write, so shoving him off to Hong Kong was my answer.

 

Nytefyre posted a comment on Friday 24th April 2015 12:57am for Chapter the last

Nice innovative takes on the characters. Nicely paced and the unfolding of the relationship was quite enjoyable.

Thanks for writing and sharing.

SteveC60xcjkas7rwlsg23 posted a comment on Sunday 5th April 2015 5:46pm for Chapter the last

I did very much enjoy your work and thank you so much for making it available for free to the likes of people like myself.

It was certainly unique in its depiction of the various characters all of which, were quite enjoyable to 'get to know.'

On another note: I have mentioned in a review for one of your other stories (Blue Steel I believe) about my desire to get a hobby started dealing with smithing.

I had followed the trail of youtube videos that the Blue Steel demonstration of the mobility of armored fighters and enjoyed watching the different means by which true craftsmen took iron sand to the finished Katana selling for the mid 5 figures in Japan. Keeping in mind that someone couldn't just stroll in with a bottomless checkbook and walk out with a piece of almost spiritual heritage. I seem to remember the owner of the gallery had mentioned prices from the 10 or 20 thousand upwards and beyond $50,000.

Just illustrated that fact that money isn't everything expecially without the respect for the soul put into creating such a piece.

Anyway, do you have any reference to smithing that I could look up?

Feel free to contact me through my fanficauthors.net account.

Best regards!

SteveC.

Kokopelli replied:

Sorry for the late reply.

The Backyard Blacksmith by Sims is a good start - you really, really, really need to master the basics of smithing before you specialize in blades of any sort.

aalens posted a comment on Tuesday 27th January 2015 10:10pm for Chapter the last

Thanks so much for writing this. I thoroughly enjoyed it from first to last.

Kokopelli replied:

You're welcome.

 

ILikeToRead posted a comment on Wednesday 7th January 2015 8:15pm for Chapter the last

This is a really enjoyable story. I liked how you build the characters over time and showed so much emotion with Harry. Thanks for sharing your work!

Kokopelli replied:

Thanks for reading.

Ishtar posted a comment on Sunday 4th January 2015 1:52pm for Chapter the last

Excellent! I enjoyed this thoroughly.

Kokopelli replied:

I'm glad you enjoyed it.  It was surprising how the writing bug came back - I wondered if I could pull this one off.  

GinnyLover posted a comment on Wednesday 24th December 2014 8:45pm for Chapter the last

A man wearing a suit and tie comes out on the stage!

"Welcome back to the WWF!!!"

"Now......Let's Get Ready to RRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBBBBBLLLLEEEEEEEE!"

Suddenly he hold his hand up to his ear containing an earpiece,"What? Wrong WWF??!?!?" Ooops"

He looks over at you," Sorry about that, welcome back to the Wonderful World of Fanfiction!"

Kokopelli replied:

Is this sponsored by Mutal of Omaha?

Rexnos posted a comment on Thursday 18th December 2014 4:16am for Chapter the last

Overall I really enjoyed this story. It really hit a niggling need for a fluffy sort of romance I've really been desiring for about a month now. This story hit the target perfectly, mixing a nice blend of interesting circumstances with interesting characters.

It's honestly a little strange though. I mention interesting characters, but I'll also note that you almost didn't touch Harry. He had essentially the same past and hang-ups from canon; you simply chose to use them. It really makes me wonder how great the series could have been if it had been developed for an older audience rather than shanghaied into it in the last two books.

Along the same line however, Daphne and her family, Andi, and honestly Hermione to a degree were all your characters, with very little of canon to be found. I liked them all a great deal and found them to be realistic and relatable. Oddly enough, I also found the Red Caps interesting enough that they deserve their own story. They made me wonder exactly what a "Goblin Rebellion" would entail.

On the constructive criticism side of things, your writing style feels very spartan. There's not much in the way of imagery or dramatic tension, or at the very least not in this story. Each event was related in a very flat manner, all matter-of-fact. It was very unusual to me, though not necessarily in an offensive way. It felt oddly unbiased, as if you wished the events and characters to speak for themselves rather than as if you were attempting to guide the readers to any sort of conclusion. That said, I do think you could add several doses of imagery. I never really felt I could see what was happening; I only heard about it.

As to the dramatic tension matter, I absolutely loved the two conflicts with Astoria in the middle of the story. The rest of the story was relaxing and almost placid, but those moments really shone in my mind. They were a sudden fire in the midst of winter. I think adding a few more of those, or at least a dose of inter-character conflict would really do a lot to spice things up. Granted, this is coming from a guy, which means I'm likely at least nominally biased towards action-oriented stories, but it is what it is. Feel free to ignore me!

Finally, I think the additions you made to the magical world were really something else. They were rather understated and side-stories, but I couldn't help but take notice. Whether it was the Earth Magic, Tom Riddle's history (which beat the snot out of Rowlings), or simply the way in which the Greengrasses interacted with their Barony (Earldom, Holdings, Fiefdom? Hell if I know), it's really the little things that count. It reminded me keenly of the original series, detailed world design which can't help but blossom if introduced to light.

In any case, fantastic work. I heartily enjoyed it.

Later,

Rex

Kokopelli replied:

Rex,

 

Thanks for a most thoughtful review.  I stopped writing fanfic years ago as I thought it was taking me away from spending time with my family (I had three children at home at the time).  I dipped my toe in the water with this story to see if I still enjoyed writing, and to see if I could still do it.

I'm fairly good at two person dialogue, but I'm poor with action sequences.  JBern can write a 20k word chapter that's all fight scene and pull it off.  Me, not so much.

So, the spartan writng style is somewhat intentional.  To provide the depth that you mention would mean that I'd have to spend way more time on this story than I did, as this was written on my lunch hour and on my commute home from the office.

One of the kicks I get from writing fanfic is to explore the minor characters, especially if they have a richly developed fanon.  Daphne, poor girl, got stuck with the Ice Queen moniker by Jeconais and thus she's been ever since.  So I wrote the anti-Ice Queen  for this story.

I'm similarly intrigued by the terrible fanon for Susan Bones, who's a buxom red haired siren, when NONE of that is in canon.  The Susan Bones from the movies was a red haired somewhat chubby girl.  That I wouldn't mind playing with.

JKR's world is a fun place to play, too bad she got tired of it in the middle of the series. The whole thing with Astoria kind of came out of nowhere, but it worked, so I went with it.  It wasn't in the original story arc!

I'm glad you enjoyed the story - thanks for responding.